The Pittsburgh Steelers make the short trip across Pennsylvania this Sunday, September 25th to take on state rivals the Philadelphia Eagles at Financial Field. Pittsburgh shares first place in the AFC North with the Baltimore Ravens at 2-0 on the year after downing the Cincinnati Bengals 26-14 last week. The Eagles are also 2-0 and share top spot in the NFC East with the New York Giants following their 29-14 road win over the Chicago Bears on Monday night.
Steelers vs Eagles: bet365 NFL Betting Line:
- bet365 lists Pittsburgh at -3.5 points at 10/11 with the Eagles +3.5 points at 10/11, the over/under is 46 points at 10/11, Pittsburgh is favored outright at 5/9 and the Eagles 8/5
Steelers vs Eagles Betting Trends:
- Season record: 2-0 SU,2-0 ATS
- Pittsburgh is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 5 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games on the road
- Pittsburgh is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Philadelphia
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games when playing Philadelphia
- Season record: 2-0 SU,2-0 ATS
- Philadelphia is 5-2 SU in its last 7 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Philadelphia’s last 9 games
- Philadelphia is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games at home
- Philadelphia is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Philadelphia’s last 6 games when playing Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Steelers – A Closer Look:
The Steelers downed the Bengals 24-16 on Sunday thanks to an effective ground attack. DeAngelo Williams was a key player as he rushed for 94 yards on his 34 carries and the 33-year-old also caught a touchdown pass. Williams will be looked to for another good outing this weekend as running back Le’Veon Bell doesn’t return from his suspension until the fourth week of the season. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t at his very best as he was 19-for-37 in passing and was picked off a pair of times. However, he still managed to rack up a trio of touchdown passes as well as 259 yards in the air.
Wide receiver Sammie Coates was his favorite target as the youngster teamed up with the quarterback on 44-yard and 53-yard plays. The second-year Coates is averaging 38.3 yards for each reception so far this season. The Steelers’ defence has also been stingy by allowing an average of 16 points against in each of its two outings. Overall, Pittsburgh is a good overall team early in the 2016/17 campaign and won’t be easy for the Eagles to handle. Pittsburgh is 4-2 SU in their past half dozen road contests and 3-1-2 ATS.
Philadelphia Eagles – A Closer Look:
Rookie quarterback Carson Wentz, who was the second-overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, has now won both of his NFL starts after taking down the Bears 29-14 at home in week 2. Wentz passed for 190 yards as he went 21 for 34 and also had a touchdown pass against Chicago. He’s also made it through his first two games without a turnover. The Eagles’ passing attack isn’t the greatest early on, but they’ve still been able to score enough points to go 2-0. This is due to their well-balanced attack and solid defense.
The Philadelphia offense has possessed the ball for 37 minutes per game on average over the first two contests and the defense has registered four takeaways. There’s no doubt the Eagles have had a relatively easy schedule so far with games against Cleveland and Chicago and will be facing a much stiffer test in Pittsburgh. The Eagles typically play well against the Steelers though and are 5-3 both SU and ATS against their state rivals in their last eight encounters.
Next up for both teams:
- Pittsburgh is home to Kansas City Sunday, Oct. 2nd
- Philadelphia is at Detroit Sunday, Oct. 9th
Click here to read our review of the bet365 online sportsbook.
by Ian S. Palmer