Manchester United makes the long trip to the south coast this Wednesday, May 17th where they will be taking on Southampton at St. Mary’s Stadium in the 37th round of English Premier League action. United was beaten 2-1 by Tottenham Hotspur in London on Sunday and can no longer finish in the top four to earn a spot in next season’s European Champions League. However, they can still qualify for the tournament by winning the Europa League Final on May 24th. Southampton enters the game following a 2-1 win at Middlesbrough last weekend to snap a five-game winless streak.
Southampton vs Manchester United – bet365 Soccer Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Southampton as the favorites to win the game at 7/4 with Man United 9/5 and a draw at 23/10
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Southampton vs Manchester United – Head to Head:
- These two teams last met in the English League Cup Final on February 17th with Man United winning 3-2 at Wembley. They also met in league play in August with United winning 2-0 at home at Old Trafford. Last season, Man United won a 3-2 thriller in Southampton while the Saints won their away fixture 1-0 in Manchester. It’s Southampton’s lone win in the past 16 meetings in all competitions and they have just four wins in the past 27 encounters. Overall, they’ve met 120 times with United winning, 63, losing 28 and drawing 29.
Southampton – A Closer Look:
The Saints have to games to go in the season with both of them being at home. However, the highest they can finish on the table is eighth place. They enter this match in ninth place in the 20-team league, level o points with West Bromwich Albion and Bournemouth. They also have a two-point lead on Leicester and a three-point bulge on West Ham. Southampton has 45 out of a possible 108 points from 12 wins, nine draws and 15 losses with 41 goals for and 47 against.
Southampton’s home record consists of six victories, five draws and six defeats with 17 goals scored and 20 conceded. The team has three wins, three draws and four losses in their past 10 league outings while scoring just nine goals and allowing 13 against. Manager Claude Puel has a relatively healthy squad to choose from as the only injured player is centre back Virgil Van Dijk and he’ll miss the final two games of the 2016/17 campaign.
Manchester United – A Closer Look:
Man United also has two games remaining in the season and the highest they can now finish is fifth place. However, a win over Ajax in the Europa League Final on May 24th will see them qualify for the Champions League next season. If they lose the Final they’ll qualify for next season’s Europa League again by finishing fifth or sixth in the Premier League. United currently occupies sixth place with 65 points from 16 wins, 14 draws and five losses while scoring 52 goals and allowing 29 against. They’ve lost just four of their past 42 games in all competitions though with 27 wins in their last 48 contests.
Away from home, United has 10 wins, four draws and four defeats with 28 goals for and 17 against. They have four wins, four and two losses in their last 10 league games with 13 goals for and seven against. They trail fifth-place Arsenal by four points and have a four point lead on seventh-place Everton. On the injury front, manager Jose Mourinho is without striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the rest of the season along with defenders Luke Shaw and Marcos Rojo, forward James Wilson and midfielders Ashley Young and Timothy Fosu-Mensah. In addition, Marouane Fellaini is suspended.
Southampton vs Manchester United – Takeaway:
- United can’t finish any higher than fifth and lower than sixth, so they’ll probably be resting their top players in their last two Premier League games to prepare for next week’s Europa League Final.
- Premier League Odds and Betting Previews
- Full review – bet365 online sportsbook.
- NEW: bet365 Auto Cash Out Feature.
- Check out bet365 Casino Games now! There are some great new Slots and Promotions in the bet365 Casino.
- While you are at it, check out our summary of the Best Online Betting Bonuses now.